On Saturday morning, my sister's husband Harry, their friend Karl and his friend Dan and I went rock climbing at Horsethief Lake State Park in Washington just east of, and across the Columbia River from, The Dalles, Oregon.
I should mention that Karl and Harry are very experienced climbers, Dan is still learning but is fearless, and Im..... well, Im a wuss who has only been in a harness one time, and that was 20 years ago during a high school trip to Colorado where I seem to recall that I got to climb one small rock face and didnt even get to descend before we ran out of time. Needless to say I was a beginner in the most literal sense of the word and I definately learned A LOT about climbing and my own fears during this trip... and those fears include, but are not limited to, a mild fear of heights, a fear of equipment failure, and a fear of leaning backward dangling from a rock face tied to the end of a rope!
Horsethief Butte is reportedly great for beginner climbers and is used by local mountaineering/climbing clubs to train their beginner students. Sadly the linked article discusses the recent deaths of two climbers out there, but it was the best description of the area that I could find. As you can guess, I was a bit nervous to begin with because I didnt really have any idea what to expect, and then someone in the car on the way there mentioned this accident which only added to my anxiety.
Upon arrival, and after a short hike to the first climbing area (which also happened to be where a climbing class was being conducted so there were about 40 other climbers right there), Karl and Dan went up top to set some ropes and Harry gave me all the equipment I needed and some excellent advice and then before I knew it I was on my way up the rock face. After about 10 terrifying minutes I finally made it to the top of my first climb and then started to climb over the top thinking I was going to unhook and then hike back down. It was at that point that Harry and Karl informed me that I was going to be lowered back down instead of unhooking at the top. That's when it became extremely apparent to me that nobody had told me how to properly descend so I was really freaking out. After a few minutes at the top and despite everyone's instructions and advice about just sitting back and bouncing off the wall with my feet I just couldnt convince myself to trust the rope so I ended up ackwardly climbing and banging my way back down to the bottom. So that was a fun, and informative, experience! (I should add that once I actually saw the others descend properly I was able to lean back a little on later descents, but was still pretty uncomfortable doing it).
After we each got in a few climbs at that location and after lunch we moved to the second location and honestly I was really planning on just hanging out for the rest of the afternoon while they continued to climb, but Harry insisted that I give it another try. So I did. It went well relatively speaking (less anxiety and more comfortable in the harness) until I got to a place near the top that I just couldn't get past, so after hanging there for about 15 minutes (Id say) trying to figure out how to get past this section and make it to the top I finally gave up. I think I had actually given up much earlier but Harry wouldn't let me down so I was forced to sit there and give it a few more feeble attempts before finally convincing him to let me down. And that was it for me.
So for the rest of the time I was comfortable just watching them climb a bit more before the weather kind of forced us (them) to call it a day.
All in all I got in about 5 short climbs and that was good enough for me for my first time. Harry and Karl definately were both good instructors and Harry really made me get out of my comfort zone so I owe them both a lot for teaching me and for forcing me to push myself to the edge of my limits.
I managed to get some decent pics of the others climbing during the day, and since they made me do that last climb I at least made sure they got some pics of me trying it.

Harry, Dan and Karl at the first climbing spot along with several members of the climbing class

View of the beginner climbing area

After lunch we moved to another spot

Harry climbing

Harry reaching the top

Me heading up the route I didnt want to do

Nearing the top

Stuck! In fact, I was at this location for so long Karl was able to get back to the top for a few shots from another angle
My final thoughts....
It was a fun day and Im glad I got out and did it since it was definately a challenge mentally and physically. However, I will also add that at this point I dont think I am going to add "rock climbing" to my list of hobbies LOL.
Although, maybe when I get back in MI Ill head to the climbing wall at my gym and see how that goes.... or not :)
No comments:
Post a Comment