Ive been thinking for a while that I wanted to give this blog thing a try, afterall, Ive got to be more interesting than other people who have their own blogs, so here it is....
I kind of decided that I wanted my first post to have an interesting title, so as I was out riding yesterday, I thought a great first post would be about my "100 Mile Day" which is what I had decided on Saturday that was what I was going to do on Sunday.
Well, plans change sometime... it started off by me waking up late on Sunday, and getting on the road late which caused me to miss the start of the group ride at Highland. When I finally got to the trailhead I decided I really didnt want to ride Highland by myself and/or try to catch up with the group who had taken off more than 45 minutes before I got there. So instead I just rode around Highland and headed into Milford where I stopped at a gas station and bought some gatorade. While taking that break I talked myself out of riding the Milford Trail, then talked myself out of going Kensington or Island lake for some more miles and at that point I just decided to head back to Walled Lake (my plan for riding out that way to begin with was to go to my buddy's birthday party in Walled Lake later in the afternoon). So I rode through Milford and through some of the Proud Lake trails and ended up riding all of the Hick (Hickory Glen trail in Commerce). I took a pretty hard spill rounding a sandy corner on the back section on this trail and scraped up my right leg a bit, so after getting up and breifly letting the woods know how unhappy I was about that incident, I got back on the bike, finished the trail and then went and rinsed off in Wolverine Lake and then headed over to the birthday celebration. I cleaned up a bit more in their yard with the hose and some antibacterial wipes (thanks Wendy!) and after a little rest and relaxation, a lot of food and some rehydrating, I hit the road again for home.
As I had planned on riding home in the dark, i had my lights with me. I left the party just before 8pm and for the first several miles I was forced to ride mostly on the sidewalks due to the traffic (fortunately it was still daylight for this part of the ride). Right around dusk I finally made it to the less traveled section of 14 mile road and then rode along Beverly the rest of the way into Royal Oak. This was amazing since I was able to just cruise along in near total darkness with my HID light guiding the way with almost no traffic at all. That experience was pretty surreal, and as I was getting closer to home I started thinking that I wanted to keep going, but I wasnt sure how much charge I had left in my light and it had been a pretty full day.
So... I left home at 11am and got home a little after 9pm and in between I did a bunch of riding and went to a party. Pretty good day if you ask me.
Oh yeah, ended up with 75 miles.
Monday, September 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment